Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Oh what a year!!!!!!!!!!!



I couldn't let this day go by without a post. On June 20 2006 I held my daughter for the first time. When they placed her in my arms, and she looked up at me with those big alert brown eyes, I knew that I was meant to be her mother. All of my fears and worries about us meeting and my insecurities about being a mother just fell away as I cradled her in my arms. I had no time for self doubt, I had a responsibility to this child. Suddenly my feeling were not so important. What was important, was soaking in every precious moment I had with my new daughter. Of course 5 days wasn't long enough. Even now that she is home, 24 hours a day is not enough for me to spend with my little Liv.

Liv has taught me so much since that first meeting. She has taught me how to be a mother. How to find patience, when I swear I've run out. How to find the joy in playing with just a plain old box. How to be sick together. How to share, yes I had to relearn this one. How it's ok to go off schedule a bit, and to not be so scheduled all of the time. She also taught me how to listen, not just to the words, but to body language. I've learned that some of the best moments in life are spent just cuddling. Liv showed me so many qualities in Vinay that I never even knew were there. Like his endurance of sleep deprivation, and how nurturing he can really be. She shown him a thing or two also. I learned that everything does happen for a reason, even when I can't see that reason at the time. I've defintly learned to not be so controlling. I learned so many things about myself, Vinay, and just life in general. But mostly in this last year I've learned to stop fighting Gods plan and let him take the lead.
Thank you Olivia for all that you've given us, taught us, and have brought to our lives. I could never give you enough kisses to show you how much I love you, but I'll keep trying!!!!!

9 comments:

Bekah said...

amazing post. I love that you said she taught you how to share...isn't it amazing that we forget how to do that. Here's to another fabulous year!

Kim said...

She is just stunning!! Give her a few more kisses from me!

Alleen said...

What an amazing journey,huh????

She is just ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

That is soooo sweet. I love the pic of the 2 of you together. I love the cute outfit in the last picture. Liv is a little doll.

Katie said...

so sweet and Liv is just beautiful !!!!!!

Crystal said...

OOOOOOHhhhhhhh Nikki--I had tears in my eyes as I was reading your post!!! Isn't it amazing what these little ones can teach us?!!!!!!!!! :O) What a beautiful beautiful post!!!!!!!! You are such an awesome momma!!!!!!!!!!!!

You little Liv is so so so cute --I love love love her outfit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corey said...

Lovely post...
I love her outfit :)

Ellie said...

Oh Nikki...

I love this post... Yes, I am wiping my eyes... BUT, as you indicate...

These kids are amazing! I know exactly what you are talking about!

BIG HUGS

Andrea said...

What a wonderful post. As we're heading towards our pick-up trip, I can't wait to feel those same feelings!!

She's just gorgeous!